Thursday, July 19, 2012

Building Cake



This cake was for someone moving to Dubai. It resembles a building in Dubai “Burj-Al Arab” which dominates the Dubai Skyline and was designed to resemble a billowing sail of a boat. This luxury hotel rises out of its own man-made island off the Jumeirah coast. It is the icon of Dubai, so this cake design was most appropriate for someone moving there.

The biggest challenge I had was giving it the narrow, height. The yellow chiffon cake with Bavarian cream filling made it very soft. The first time I built it, the whole cake fell with a plop!  Then I started over and this time I got a nice strong base and attached a dowel to it. Then I built the cake around the dowel and it held up.  The details were fun to research and make. I also made palm trees to finish the look, but forgot about them in my hurry to get it delivered on time.

Here are some more pictures of the cake. I drew the Palm Island on the base with icing!








5 comments:

  1. Another amazing creation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice cakes. I will definitely feature your cakes and blog on my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Cake is amazing!! I would like to eat it...but, on the other hand...it so, so perfect that maybe I could not be the first with the knife to cut it...but could easily be the second...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrumptious penthouse!!!

    ReplyDelete